Elcom’s UFS family of microwave synthesizers meets today’s most demanding testing needs found in the laboratory, on production lines, and in system development and maintenance. The UFS delivers an unsurpassed combination of ultra fast switching speed, extremely low phase noise, low spurious, and wide frequency tuning range with small frequency step size. The basic advanced direct analog frequency synthesizer architecture provides for ultra fast switching speeds. This is complemented by a high speed direct digital synthesizer (DDS) subsystem implemented within the fastest available COTS FPGA. The DDS subsystem provides for small frequency step size with low spurious. Proprietary fixed frequency, low-phase noise PLL technology for the internal fixed frequency sources, along with the lowest phase noise VHF OCXO commercially available, yields extremely low phase noise.
Application of the latest semiconductor technologies for microwave and digital circuitry reduces parts count and reduces power dissipation, leading to high system MTBF. The standard configuration for the UFS is a rack-mount instrument, however, its modular internal layout facilitates configuration of the system to meet a limitless range of special custom synthesizer requirements for packaging and performance.
APPLICATIONS: EW Simulation, Frequency Agile Radar,
ATE Systems, SIGINT, Radar Cross Section
- 300 MHz to 18.0 GHz coverage with 1 Hz tuning resolution
and +10 dBm output level
- Spurious 65 dBc
- 250 nanosecond switching speed
- Parallel BCD interface for high speed
- Ability to lock to an external 10 MHz and/or 100MHz reference,
and exact synchronization to the external reference. Note that
many competitive designs exhibit a synchronization error due to
digital round-off. This makes for an output frequency error anywhere
from a fraction of one Hz to several Hz when locked to an external reference.
AIRBORNE SIMULATION PLATFORMS
- Our UFS products are used extensively throughout the world in ATE systems for testing of LRU’s and EW Simulation Systems used by Military Aircraft.
- Our synthesizers can be found in applications supporting the operational mission performance of the F-15, F-16, F-18, E2D, F-22, F-35 and B-2.
- Additionally we also manufacture other instrumentation used in the testing requirements of the B-52.
OPTIONAL FEATURES AVAILABLE
The architecture of the UFS has been developed to provide various high-level as well as basic optional functions. These include:
- Full band phase coherency. For some applications, this feature allows one synthesizer to serve the role of multiple units, providing a major reduction in cost of ownership.
- 3 GHz IF Loop. The user can apply I/Q or vector modulation in line with this signal to convert the UFS into a synthesized up/down converter with little or no degradation in performance over the entire operating frequency. IF bandwidths are available up to +/- 100MHz. See Option Bulletin OPT 113B for details.
- Fast externally controlled digital attenuator, 0-30 dB in 0.5 dB steps
- Pulse modulation
The IBS wideband low phase noise microwave frequency synthesizer covers the full 100 MHz to 20 GHz tuning range with a tuning step size of 10 Hz and with tuning speed of less than 200 microseconds. Based on Elcom’s proprietary PLL indirect frequency synthesizer technology which utilizes high speed digital signal processing, the IBS is a cost-effective solution for a wide range of demanding frequency synthesizer applications. An AM modulator, a fast pulse modulator, and multiple 60 dB range variable attenuators are integrated within the IBS system. While the IBS is often used as stand-alone laboratory instrument, with its exceptional RF performance, signal control features, and options for interface and packaging, the fast tuning IBS is ideal in the ATE environment and in OEM systems.
Application of the latest semiconductor technologies for microwave and digital circuitry within the IBS reduces parts count and reduces power dissipation, leading to high system MTBF. The IBS is offered in two standard packaging and interface configurations: 19 inch rack-mount with GPIB interface, and 3 slot VME format.
The front panel is designed to allow all major functions to be operated easily and without extensive operator training. The operator is guided through various settings and operations via a multi-line LCD and keypad for data entry. All operating modes and features can be invoked from both the front panel and remote control interface. The unit can also be provided without the front panel interface and controlled exclusively via the remote control interface. The functions of the IBS/VMESG Series instruments are divided into groups on the front panel that make changing settings easier.
APPLICATIONS: Antenna Measurement, LAB Instrumentation, ATE
FREQUENCY RANGE: 0.1 to 20 GHz
- Wide Frequency Bandwidth: 0.1 to 20 GHz
- Fast Switching Speed: 200 usec, Full Band
- Exceptionally Clean Signal: -60 dBc Spurious
- -50 dBc (0.1 to 0.5 GHz) Harmonics
- -55 dBc (0 5 to 20 GHz ) Harmonics
- Low Phase Noise Floor: -153 dBc/Hz up to 6 GHz
- Low Phase Noise: -137 dBc/Hz, 20 KHz Offset at 1 GHz
- Ethernet Control
- Designed For High MTBF and Quick Service Time
- Optional Bands: 0.1 to 6.0 GHz, 2.0 to 18 GHz
- Switching Speed: 100 usec
- Low Phase Noise Option
- Modulation Option: AM, FM, Pulse
- 110 dB Attenuator (10 dB steps)
- RS-232 Interface
- GPIB Interface